You're in the car for 9 hours, you pass thousands of fast food joints, you're bored..yeah I get it. It's easy to get out of your healthy, normal eating habits.
Here are some things I do while on the road that I hope can help you too!
1. Bring your own snacks! Not only is it healthier for you, but it saves you time and money. Think about it. Every time you stop for a burger and fry you add 10 or more minutes to your trip and $5! Or you fill up with gas and buy $5 worth of chips candy and drinks for the ride. Not to mention the calories too!
I prefer packing my own snacks. I try to stay away from processed foods. I have a gluten intolerance, so my diet has totally changed the passed couple of years and man do I feel so much better without wheat! So now I bring fresh fruit and veggies. (apples, bananas, pears, oranges, carrots, fresh green beans, avocados, etc.) I even bring a small cooler with me and bring grilled chicken with olive oil and spices. That hits the spot! Protein and healthy fats (avavados) are important to keep you full and satisfied!
2. Don't forget to bring your vitamins too! I always have Magnesium and B12 on me! There are so many benefits of taking them, especially since being on the road can drain you physically and mentally. You need to keep your immune system going strong!
3. Bottled water and green tea! I LOVE my Jasmine tea with lemon. I buy mine at my all time favorite Chinese restaurant, China Star, in Westland, MI! I've been going there my whole life and my parents and grandparents have been going there for over 30 years! Of course, water is the best choice, but if you need caffeine like me, try switching from coffee to green tea! It has tons of antioxidants!! If I do have coffee, I've learned to just have 2 half cups a day!
4. Split meals. My mom, grandma and I split almost every meal. we'll normally order an extra salad and/or veggie with our meal too! We eat little bits all day, which works out great for us! Plus, it's cutting the cost (which is so important when you're on a tight budget!)
5. Don't eat your feelings! Seriously. On my radio tour, I wake up early in the morning, get ready and go to my interview! When I'm done, I feel like I'm on top of the world! I just had an amazing, fun, heart-pounding interview, heard my song being played on the radio, and heard people call in! My adrenalin sure kicked in! I'm starving cause I haven't eaten since dinner the night before and I'm ready to celebrate....NOT A GOOD IDEA! I have to remember this is still real life and I can't gorge myself every time I feel happy! Can you imagine if I did that every time!? I'd be sick! But, it's so easy to just say, "I'm going to treat myself," It's just not always a smart idea! So how do you not listen to your belly? Having someone there reminding you is key! Plus like I said earlier, eating little bits all day and splitting meals help!
Let's be real here though...I'm not perfect and I do have my go to comfort foods that I love!!!! Since I'm GF, I love my potato chips (especially BBQ right now!) But now I don't have them as often as I use to! I personally know It's hard to start good habits and I know it's easy to jump off the band wagon. But if you do, don't hate yourself. Creating new habits take about 6 weeks, so do your best and don't give up. The cravings will eventually go away, or at least not be as strong.
So good luck everyone, I hope you can take something away with you from this blog for your next road trip! :)
Love you all!